Wednesday, 27 August 2008

Summer Bounty

Little Man's tomato plants have been producing steadily, as have my own patio and cherry tomatoes. But now My Girl's crop is beginning to ripen and there are just too many tomatoes for us to eat as is.


Lovely reds in Little Man's square foot boulevard garden


Strong stems supported by cages. A neighbourhood animal pulled over one of the cages last night and I found 3 lovely, large, green tomatoes on the ground. Sad.



My Girl's tomatoes beginning to ripen. Do you see the green one on the left? Right below it, hiding behind a bright leaf is another orange one, waiting its turn for harvest.


What do we do with tomatoes too plentiful to keep up with but not plentiful enough to can using the recipes that I have in my books?

Produce brought into the house in the last 2 days.


I've decided to try stewing and freezing them as it seems to be the simplest way to handle them, and I'm all for simple!

I'd love to hear more small batch preserving ideas, things that I can do a bit at a time as the crop becomes more than daily food. Any ideas?

The children have loved watching their plants grow, flower, and produce; now it's time for me to do something with them that we can enjoy later in the year.


One of two peppers growing in Little Man's garden.



My Girl's garden next to the playhouse. Her peppers aren't producing yet, but the cucumber is twining itself through the tomatoes.



One of the two cucumbers. We're watching to see how much it plumps up at the top!

Just for fun, a shot of my butterfly garden. I'm so pleased with the colours and textures!

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful garden we just watched on your blog!
    Our tomatoes are as green as green can be, and due to a lot of rain over the past few days, one of the two plants had fallen over. I managed to set it up straight Again and hope we get some warm weather to put some colour in their "cheeks".
    My cucumber seeds never took, so ours come from the store , so will the green peppers.
    As to what to do with the beautiful ripe tomatoes, I wash them, put them in plastic bags and then just pop them into the freezer. That way you don't have to wait for a certain amount to "do something with". When you want to use them in the winter, just remove from the freezer, hold under some warm water (or in) to remove the skins, and use in stews, soups,sauces, etc.They'll be just like golf balls.

    ReplyDelete