We spoke of many things, including the ways I had seen God work in various situations in my life:
"Through that time I couldn't do anything and I really wasn't worth anything to anyone. But My Dear Man stuck with me, caring for all the things I couldn't do. He is a great gift from God in my life."
She looked at me quietly. "Yes. God gives only gifts."
That I could agree with. But she went on:
"Everything is a gift."
Now I wasn't so sure. Everything? Even the years of clinical depression? The losses that many I know have faced? The insecurities and pains I experienced as a child? These, too, are gifts? Could it be true?
And she continued:
"The gift in everything is the potential for a deeper relationship with Him."
::
I've thought about those words almost daily ever since, and you've seen them here on PeaceLedge, heading every post I've done of the One Thousand Gifts. They've changed the way I look at everything, and, in reflection, I see that they were part of how I was already thinking when I was in the midst of some of the most difficult times.
These One Thousand Gifts are no light "thanks" for nice things done for me. Nor are they a "look at the bright side" kind of living. The Gifts are a way of honouring of the Giver for every part of life, for life itself, with all its bright and dark parts; the Gifts are a recognition that all things, ALL things are from the Hand of Him who has my name engraved in His hand, and that all things, ALL things require a decision from me: Will I receive it with thanks, even though it might look ugly now, trusting that He will draw me closer to Him through it? Or will I throw it back in His face and let resentment separate me from His perfect love?
Each day there is a decision to make. Do I really believe that everything is a gift? Or not?
Truth be told, some days it is easier to receive the gifts than others. Some days my eyes are so tightly closed that I don't even see the easy-to-recognize gifts, let alone those gifts that take some searching to uncover.
As I learn to live the Gifted life, I find it more natural to see the Gifts, to notice the small ones, to accepts the difficult ones, and to reach out toward the Giver. And that is the whole point.
The Gifts only draw me closer to the Giver.
As the Father gives, I receive. And I give back to Him thanks.
God has given everything.
I give thanks.
Is there anything more I can give?



No comments:
Post a Comment