Tuesday, 7 October 2008

Challenging the Memory


We're joining a little late, but we aren't behind: we've been working on memorizing Matthew 20:1-16 as part of our Bible times and we're well on our way. So here's the scoop on Mega Memory Month from Ann Kroeker:

Here’s how to participate:

1. Pick something you’d like to memorize. Something long. Something formidable. Something Mega. (Mega to you may not be mega to me–simply challenge yourself relative to what you’ve tackled in the past.)

2. Announce it on your blog whenever you like.

3. Return with a link to your blog post talking about how you’re going to take the challenge and participate in October’s Mega Memory Month carnival. I’ll update this post so that participants are front-and-center.

4. On Mondays, because it offers the best alliteration, I’ll write a Mega Memory Month post. Chime in with your own progress report that day (or any time during the week) in the comments or at your own blog (it won’t be instant, but I’ll update to your linkage if you supply it). That way we can visit and encourage each other.

5. Try typing out what you’ve mastered little by little.

6. Post any memory techniques you’re using, so we can borrow ideas that work.

7. By the end of the month, present a creative culmination of your work (a video of you–and your family, if they’re participating–reciting it by heart; or write it out by hand and take a photo; or just type it up on the blog).

Our minds build up an ability to memorize: the more we do it, the easier it becomes. I'm amazed at how much the Little Man already knows of this parable just from hearing it. He's not reading yet, so he has none of the visual cues that My Girl and I are able to get, and maybe that's an advantage for him as he isn't leaning on that visual crutch. We'll post again next Monday to let you know how we're doing.

Oh, and once this is done, I really want to get back to memorizing the book of Philippians. I began years ago and stalled part way through chapter 3. This book has so many of my favourite passages in it, and I can still recite most of chapters 1 and 2, although I get stuck with the transitions. So now it's out there. I'm really going to do it!

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful! I'm so glad you're jumping in, and memorizing a parable with your family is a neat idea.

    I'm also delighted to see that you're inspired to return later to Philippians. Sounds like you have a lot already tucked away in your memory bank to draw from when the time comes.

    Welcome to MMM! It's a privilege to have you among the participants!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sure hope it's true that the more you exercise your brain in memorization the easier it gets! Glad to be in the MMM challenge w/you.

    ReplyDelete