Friday, 3 October 2008

To Live is To Pray

Thoughts following Girl's Night Out:

...and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.

- 2 Corinthians 10:5b

To live every moment of every day as though it were a prayer. If we
were to do this, it would leave little room for...

- Sheila Wray Gregoire

Whether I am aware of it or not, everything I say and do is done within the Presence of the Lord. What would it look like if I lived my life in the knowledge that every moment of every day was a prayer, a conversation with My Lord? One of the reasons for my practice of the spiritual disciplines is to make me aware of this Holy Place in which I abide, to put me into a place where I am alert to the Presence; but so many other things intrude on the conversation. I want to embrace the intrusions because in reality they aren't that: the children who need my attention are not getting in the way of my communication with my Lord, but are offering me another way in which I can commune with Him - service, or maybe love, or listening to them and through them hearing Him. How many times have I dismissed His Voice because it has been 'disguised' as the voice of one of The Ones I Love? That question gives me pause.

All I do is part of the prayer, not taking me away from it. My heart is the prayer. My attitude is the prayer. My choice of response is the prayer. Christ in me is the prayer.

Oh, Father, how often I give away the opportunity to live prayer in Your Presence! You are with me, in me, behind and before me. There is nowhere I can go without You, so there is really no life without prayer, is there?


To live is to be in the Presence of God.

To live is to pray.

1 comment:

  1. I have found that, too, in my life. I feel God closer to me as I go through the day and "apply" him to my everyday. Glimpses of the New Earth?!

    We all LOVED the pictures of your caterpillars. So incredibly amazing. Reuben would like to know what their names are as they are Lucas' pets.

    Have a wonderful Sunday.

    ReplyDelete