My vision has been filled with nature for the past number of weeks as our family has explored the world of monarchs, dipped into the 100 species challenge, and simply tried to make nature study a greater focus in our home school. But that has left me with very little time to think and write about many of the other things that press on my heart. Here's a bit of what I've been pondering, and, while I hope to revisit these ideas in future posts, I know that it's just as likely that this is the only mention they will receive...for a time at least.
What is trust? And how is trust demonstrated? With a person I trust I make myself vulnerable, I accept his advice, I draw close. Do I do that with my Papa God?
Insecurity and feelings of inadequacy are rampant around me (and in me, too). Comparisons thrive. Measuring sticks for competence abound: schedules, meal plans, frugal living, home education methods, number of children, body size and shape... But what really matters in the life we are giving our children, our families, ourselves? These are the measuring sticks that I'd really like to see used in my life: Do I listen when those around me speak? Am I growing (not perfect) in my love for my Father? Do people take priority over plans? Is my home inviting (not immaculate) and my spirit welcoming? But even as I write these I know how far I am from them.
Reality home schooling. Choose the things that are really important to me for the school year and make them the priority. For this year those things are loving the Word, history, and nature study. If those are the only things on our schedule that get done on a given day, I will be satisfied (won't I?). They are the things that will get our focus, our best times, and, when a day goes haywire, our only time.
There's more, but my "few moments" are gone.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
-
Ann Kroeker initiated Mega Memory Month last fall, and I jumped in with both feet. So when it returned for January, I was ready to try to m...
-
We are living in a different land now, and so much is new that sometimes it's hard to know where to start with the discovering. So ...
-
These words are going through my head all the time. Whenever I have a moment that I'm not thinking about anything, it seems that my brai...
I admire you for addressing these thoughts, for trying to focus on those "most important things" and more, for working towards making them central in your home. You inspire me.
ReplyDeleteAhhhhh...music to my ears. You've dropped the worldly, ever-changing measuring stick and narrowed your focus on being led, one step at a time by the Lord. I love it.
ReplyDelete